Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Week 5 - My First Stall

Weigh-In

Highest Weight: 320lbs
Weight Before Surgery: 311 lbs (-9lbs)
Previous Week: 287 lbs  (- 33 lbs)
Weigh In: 287 lbs (- 0 lbs)
Total Lost:33 lbs
Total Lost Since Surgery: 24 lbs

Before Surgery:




Week 5:




The Journey

Why is it that when we are on a journey to lose weight, we hold so much value to what the scale says? For many, it sets our mood for the day, depending on what it says. If we lose weight, we are the happiest person in the world. And if we don't, you better run and hide.

What many of us fail to realize is how much negativity we are putting into our lives by becoming obsessed with what the scale says. Losing weight can be a good thing but when you put so much stress on yourself and negative emotions over a number on the scale, it becomes a bad thing.

And the number on the scale is just that -- a number. It doesn't tell you how far you've come, what you can do now that you couldn't before, or what size clothes you can fit into now. It doesn't define you.

During the fifth week of my weight loss journey, I was obsessed with the scale still. I hit a stall. I felt like I had failed but really I didn't. My body just needed time to catch up. After all, I had just put it through hell, so it was expected that it needed to catch up. At the time I saw the number on the scale, though, I did get mad and flipped of the scale.

Later that day I realized how much the scale didn't matter. It wasn't about the number, it was about the feeling. It was about all of the NSVs I had now. It was about no more diabetes, being able to walk, etc. It was about living.

The nausea and acid reflux were still going strong. I did start to notice that I felt worse about 2 hours after I had eaten. I wasn't eating around the clock since I didn't really get hungry. I only noticed the gnawing pain every so often and nausea to follow it. I noticed I was having strange symptoms as well. One was seeing something black out of the corner of my eye but when I looked, nothing was there. I also had cramping in my calves.

For food this week, I ate a lot of KFC. The chicken was good and I wasn't really sure what else to eat. I tried new foods but after a few bites they would start to taste disgusting.

NSV

My feet were not swollen anymore! I had balloon-looking feet before surgery and now they were starting to look normal!

No comments:

Post a Comment